If your car battery needs a good cleaning, the following steps will guide you so that you can do the job yourself and ensure that it’s spotless!
- The first and most important thing you must do is to turn off your engine to prevent any injuries and eliminate any risks. The engine must be turned off completely so that you can work safely with peace of mind. Regardless of how straightforward the job is, you don’t want to take any chances.
- Once step one is complete, you’ll need to loosen the nut that holds your negative cable in place using a wrench, which will allow you to detach the cable from its post. Follow the exact same steps to loosen the positive cable.
- At this stage, you should stop to visually inspect your car battery to see if there are any cracks. If you do notice any, it’s an indication that there’s a greater problem with your car battery and cleaning alone will not be able to solve it. A full replacement will most likely be required.
- Inspect the cables and clamps as well. If you spot wear and tear and notice that there are tears or see rips, then this too is an indication that a replacement is required.
- Once you’ve thoroughly completed a visual inspection and confirm that there are no signs of damage, you can proceed by mixing your cleaning solution consisting of one tablespoon of baking soda mixed into one cup of water.
- Take a toothbrush and use it to scrub away any corrosion you see on the battery terminals. Get right in there and scrub as much as you need to so that it’s perfectly clean. You may need to dip and soak your toothbrush into the mixture several times throughout the process.
- Once you’re done scrubbing, use a spray bottle that has cool water to rinse off any of the residues. You must make sure that all of the baking soda is washed away and no corrosion is left anywhere. Once you confirm that there is no leftover residue, take an old towel and pat the battery and clamps until they are completely dry.
- The last step is to use a tiny bit of petroleum jelly to help lubricate the terminals before reattaching the cables to them.
Following these steps will help you get your car battery squeaky clean! If you would feel more comfortable having a professional mechanic look at your battery and perform a thorough cleaning, visit Cars R Us for assistance with this matter and any other car-related inquiries you may have.